Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Boob food

My wisdom tooth woes, has taken me back to the doctor with the drills. At least I didn’t have to go to the one with the sullen secretary ;-). So I found a seat in the waiting room and tried to relax. I’m sandwiched between two women, a nursing? mother and a heartbroken? girl. (The girl’s story will come later).

At first, the nursing mother seemed like a woman with a toddler. The little girl on her lap was busily munching on crispy plantain chips. That should tell me she has, at least her premolars present. Now this little girl must have become rather thirsty all of a sudden because she stopped chewing, popped open a couple on Mama’s shirt buttons and shoved an exposed breast into her mouth and sucked away! Boy, my jaw dropped!

Now my shock does not come from breastfeeding in public, not at all. It comes from the age of the child. The child has enough coordination to unbutton a shirt and enough teeth to chew plantain chips. How about some good old water or orange juice? Or am I the only one who finds this almost unsettling?

15 comments:

  1. That's nothing, I saw a grown man doing this on the train the other day, though I'm not so sure that was his mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha...my younger brother was still sucking at age 6. This is what I call yummy, plantain chips doused in breast milk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, Faf. Not his mother, huh? I bet he won't willingly suckle his mother at that age even if you paid him to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NFA, hmmm, thats something. 6 yrs? Personally, I think as soon as a child can say 'boobie' he should be weaned!;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find it extremely creepy and nauseating when mothers breastfeed their grown ass, walking, talking children. Its all kinds of wrong. I can't imagine how much ridicule it would bring to that child at a later age!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and about your wisdom tooth issues...have you considered getting it pulled? I used to have the worst wisdom teeth pains till I got it pulled a few months ago. The first week completely sucked, the following 3 weeks werent that great either but I can say after 4 months that it has been one of the best decisions ever.

    Oh and unfortunately, the procedure is a bit pricey too, but thank God for insurance...right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd say the kid gets no compe-tit-tion from the dad or she would have quit already.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah Anon, so I'm not alone! If I say my skin didn't crawl, I'd be lying!
    Pulling the tooth, my dentist is reluctant to do it because he says I have enough room for growth and there is no medical reason why he should do it. Hmmm, I hope he's right.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol...I am dying laughing but really I know of people who kept breastfeeding at age 6!...It is digusting but oh well, as long as they are still getting some benefit from it. Breastfeeding also helps reduce the risk of allergies in infants who have a family history of asthma, food allergy, or eczema. It is easily digested and contains just the right amount of fat, protein, carbohydrate, vitamins and minerals.

    Usually the first 4-6 months is the most critical for that. ...oh some men do too!...hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mike, you got me laughing! Hahaha. I thought so too. If she is taking it all, what does Daddy take? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm Maxine, at that 'plantain chips chewing age' I really wonder if there are still any health benefits left in the boobie juice! Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Boobies!!! More boobie talk...ps. This month is Breast Cancer Awareness Month so do feel on those boobies.
    But yeah, breast milk at that age? I dunno chale..
    To my unborn kids : If you think at 'Plantain chips chewing age', as Kwegyiba so nicely put it, you will be sucking on my titties...ermm, I'm sorry to disappoint you..I mean come on, after gravity has had its fair share, you too, u've come to thoroughly battered my boobies, it will be nap time for boobies. naaa chale, not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha Shels, those poor kids! I will be sure to warn them when the time comes.;-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm, Femme you think so too. At least I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete